Monday, June 07, 2010

DIGGING DEEPER PSALM 91:11-16

Are you enjoying this Psalm as much as I am? I have been memorizing it on the road (safely). I so appreciate the reminder that God has my back. I am in His constant care. Are you making this Psalm your own? How about taking 10 minutes today to meditate on the truth within?

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
12 On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.
14 "Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
15 When he calls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
1 6With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation."

Commentary: "Psalm 91. This tender and intimate psalm describes the confidence that the believer may have through all manner of dangers and challenges. The psalm speaks about the faithful person as "he" (vv. 1, 14-16), addresses him directly as "you" (singular; vv. 3-13), and gives him words to say as "I" (v.2). Some have suggested that all of these are Israel speaking as a whole, but the situations in view in the psalm (e.g., pestilence, vv. 3,6; terrors by night and arrows, v. 5; one's fellows falling, v. 7) are those primarily faced by particular persons. Of course, Israel as a whole finds refuge in God and is covered by his divine wings, but the nation's members see this in their individual lives as well." ESV study Bible ~ notes, pg. 1054.

Diane

No comments: