Thursday, January 05, 2012

The Gig Is Up...

I remember the first Sunday service I attended church as a believer. I was a new babe, so to speak. Looking around at the others there, I felt humbled. These were God's people. Then I thought, well, as soon as they find out I'm not like them the gig will be up. Wait a minute, that thought came from the pit of hell and smelled like smoke! It took a very short time for the Lord to renew my mind in that area and for me to understand and believe I was one of them, and that they were just like me. Sinners saved by grace.

That was 11 years ago and there are still times when I have to remind myself of who I am in Christ. It's not that I've forgotten, but I do have an enemy who likes to keep score of sins. I can just see him rubbing his slimy, condemned hands together as he attempts to torment; "Ah ha! Wait until I pull this skeleton out of her closet. I'll make it a real good one; this one's not B.C., it's one from after she was washed as white as snow...ha ha! There - take that mud on your testimony Miss "I'm one of God's people!"

Oh, go ahead pull whatever skeleton you want out. B.C. or after, it doesn't matter, all those bones have blood on them. The Blood!

Godly sorrow and the Holy Spirit's conviction, are meant to lead us to repentance and restoration. The accuser's condemnation leads us to hopelessness and helplessness.

I guess what "they" say is true, whoever "they" are; "Misery loves company." Well, no thanks. I'd rather keep company with Jesus.

So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord."
And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."
(John 8:7-11, NKJV)

God is so good to us.

I keep a large stone on my desk with the word "First" written on it. When you turn it over it reads: Let he who is without sin, throw the first one.

It reminds me that I'm forgiven of my sins. All of them. It also reminds me that I won't ever be justified in throwing it.

Dina Seaton
Marketing Assistant, Staff Writer

No comments: