Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Hard Lessons

"It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees." Psalm 119:71

Have you ever noticed that we tend to learn much more about the Lord and grow in our relationship with Him during tough times rather than when we are having smooth sailing? I know it has been that way for me.

I remember an illustration that Beth Moore used in one of her Bible Studies. She said that the Lord starts out teaching us something "in the classroom". If we don't learn the lesson "in the classroom", He will then "take us on a field trip". I don't know about you, but I've been on a number of "field trips" with the Lord. (And they weren't the fun kind that I took as a child in school!) It would have been easier to listen to Him and learn to obey in the classroom, but so often, it doesn't seem to work out that way; we need to learn things the hard way. But I am thankful that the Lord is patient with us, that He doesn't give up on us, and that He persists in teaching us what we need to know, even if it means some tough lessons, rather than just leaving us in our sin.

Can we say as the Psalmist did that it is good for us to be afflicted in order that we might learn His will, His way, and become obedient followers of Him? Only by His grace can we say that. Having been through some tough times that have brought some tough lessons, I can now say from the other side that it was good for me, even though it was hard. I think it is much more difficult to say that in the midst of a trial, but often, once we come out the other side and see all that the Lord has accomplished through it, we realize He was able to use it for our good, and for His glory.

If you have just come out of a time of trial, through eyes of faith, look back and see what the Lord accomplished through it, and thank Him. If you are finding it hard to see any good, ask the Lord, He'll show you. And if you are in the midst of a time of trial right now, hold on. Seek His face and know that the Lord is working in all things to accomplish His purposes in you and for you (Rom. 8:28). By faith, believe that on the other side, you will be able, by His grace, to say, "It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees."

Stacey Poplawski
WOC Graduate

No comments: