Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Don't Believe It

That's usually the problem. God gives us the assurance of something and then we waiver between faith and unbelief. When I read the following portion of scripture, something really upset me. It was verse 6... "And He marveled because of their (my) unbelief."

Then He went out from there and came to His own country, and His disciples followed Him. And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, "Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands! 3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" So they were offended at Him.
4 But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house." 5 Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6 And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching
. Mark 6: 1-6 (NKJV)

Here's an example of what I've experienced at times and maybe you have too:
"Ok, Lord, so I know I heard you say this, and you've confirmed it to me today through this, but I still have doubts, could you send me a second confirmation? Great, got it. But still- what if I do that and it's not really you, maybe you haven't spoken this to me and it's just self-talk? I'm going to need another confirmation. Great, I got it. But Lord what if?" Sounds like I want to live risk-free. Or is it faith free?

Does anyone have a fleece handy?

I could just imagine Jesus shaking His head back and forth as He marvels at my unbelief. I guess you could say He just can't believe it.

"Dina...Dina...after all I've shown you, still you do not believe."

"Oh Lord, I don't want You to shake your head at my unbelief in any situation, after all the mighty works You've not only done in my life, but in the lives of those around me."

Those are the times that focusing on the past can give us the good shaking we need. Come on sister, look back, and remember the time God did ____________ and you thought, "Wow, Lord, You really did do just what You said You would. Why didn't I just trust You and believe?"

That's Him, same God. Faithful then, faithful now and faithful tomorrow.

So is your faith shaken or do you need a good shaking?

Dina Seaton
Marketing Assistant, Staff Writer

No comments: