Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Signs...The City...and Some things to Think About...

Ah...the city...arts and culture, a diversity of ethnicities, quaint shops and markets, trendy hotels, a place where old, run-down warehouses can become much coveted prime spaces to live. After, of course, they've been completely renovated, except for the original brick walls, updated with stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops, brushed nickel fixtures, wood floors throughout, or maybe bamboo, since everyone is "going green" right now. Don't get me started! I'm all for conservation but when I read bumper stickers that say things like: "THE EARTH DOESN'T BELONG TO US...WE BELONG TO THE EARTH," well...I get a little nuts! The truth is the earth and everything in it belongs to God.

To the LORD your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it. Deuteronomy 10:14 (NIV)

But that's another conversation; let's get back to the city...

Just like any city there's usually areas such as I just described, and areas much less affluent. One day, while strolling from one to the other, I passed a home that had a sign on its front porch that read: "IF YOU DON'T LIVE HERE-YOU DON'T SIT HERE." Apparently, there are people who would have no problem cozying up on someone else's porch swing. It's not the safest place to live, although I've been in much worse. In fact, it reminded me of the area I grew up in. Where I was raised, you were taught to live life on the defense. Lock your door behind you, always lock your car door, beware of strangers, and look for the angle. Suspicion can be very exhausting. We didn't grow up with the philosophy that a stranger is just someone you haven't met yet. We grew up with the philosophy of: "Do not talk to strangers, beware of them and be ready." As I said, exhausting! I believe there needs to be a balance.

Another sign I saw read this: "TO THE PERSON WHO STOLE MY BIKE, I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT...NEXT TIME YOU COME BACK MY DOG WILL EAT YOU!" I can't help but wonder, where was this dog when the bike got stolen? Hmmm...maybe he or she was on a break from its "watch" so to speak. I mean come on...with all the rights we've bestowed on our four-legged friends they must take breaks, no? Did you know you could actually go to jail for abuse of an animal? YOU CAN! Don't get me wrong, I love most dogs and I believe if you have a pet you should take care of it.

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.
Proverbs 12:10 (NIV)

But since there are people who abuse their children running around free as a bird...can we capture them first and maybe just fine the animal haters or something? If I wanted to "adopt" a dog I'd actually have to allow a home visit. I'm sorry but that is hysterical. I brought home my newborn baby and no one even asked me if I had a home never mind visited it!

Some things to think about...better yet, and much more effective... pray about.

Dina Seaton
Marketing Assistant, Staff Writer

No comments: