Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tarry a Moment

Lord, my prayer this morning as I opened Your word was, "Lord, prepare my heart to spend time with You as I tarry a moment with You."

As soon as I said it I realized the foolishness of that prayer - how can I tarry a moment? It sounds so contradictory; to tarry takes more than a moment.

Isn't that what characterizes my morning times? A moment! So often, I take but a moment, a brief time to read a chapter or two before I'm racing off to the next thing.

Tarry sounds so wonderful, so spiritual, as I envision Mary sitting at Your feet soaking in Your every word - basking in Your presence. But honestly, that does not describe my mornings with You.

How about you? Do you tarry with the Lord during your times with Him? How can we say we love the Lord if we are so quick to move on to the next thing? If we have a friend or spouse that gives us a moment here and a moment there, quickly moving on to their busy lives, we would wonder how genuine their love for us is. Am I right?

Lord, I pray that I would want, even yearn, to tarry in Your presence - morning by morning and that I would be compelled to action to make it so.

Blessings,
Diane

No comments: