Monday, June 18, 2012

At a distance...


A couple of months ago we came through the Easter season. On Good Friday morning I was reading again the account recorded on those last days and hours of Jesus' earthly life. Like you I am very familiar with the account so it would be easy to gloss over the details.

I came upon this statement, "And Peter was following him at a distance..." Matthew 26:58.

As others look on, would they say I follow Jesus at a distance?

Before I became a Christian, I heard some friends say they were "closet Christians." "It's private and personal" they said. I passed it off as making sense because, after all, what did I know, I wasn't a Christian.

But now, nearly 30 years later, I realize that is not faith -- not genuine, vibrant, living faith.

I am reminded of 2 verses:

You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. Luke 9:26

If I am a Christ-follower - then may my walk look like it, up close and personal!

Blessings,

Diane

Diane Hunt is part of the ministry team at America's Keswick. She is a regular writer for Victory Call and one of the authors of Crossing the Jordan Bible Study. Diane has been married to her husband John over 27 years. She has 2 adult children and 3 grandchildren and 3 adult step-children with 7 grandchildren making 10 in all. She delights reading and teaching, but mostly laughing at the funny things her grandchildren say and do.





No comments: