Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Social Promotion


Perhaps you have heard of a practice in schools called social promotion. It is a practice of moving students along regardless of whether they do well or not in their studies. Even if a child fails, schools that practice social promotion promote the student to the next grade.

Flunking is a thing of the past in these schools. The problem, of course, is that these schools are graduating students that are fundamentally illiterate, lacking basic math and grammar skills.

I believe the motivation behind the practice of social promotion is the idea that holding a child back would bruise their self-esteem. I'm pretty sure it's been proven that it doesn't work. No surprise there.

What happens to their self-esteem (not a biblical concept by the way) when they get into the work force (if they do) and lack the basic life skills to keep a job?

Anyway, none of that is my point today, but it helps me make my point.

Here's my point: God does not practice social promotion.

His plan is much more effective in preparing His children for a holy, blameless life -- that is -- to be like Jesus. His plan is progressive sanctification.

God is in the process of growing each of His children in the image of His Son. He is committed to the conforming process - in fact, He promises it.

Romans 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

I think there are times I live as if God practices social promotion. Whether I obey or not, He'll move me along towards maturity. I ask for more of God yet I fail to be faithful to what I already have. I ask God to be my wonderful counselor but I don't heed His counsel.

I wonder if I'm not alone. Do you find that when you fail God's test, that somehow He circles around again and again until you get it?

Do not despair for "His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire" 2 Peter 1:3-4.

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is part of the ministry team at America's Keswick. She is a regular writer for Victory Call and one of the authors of Crossing the Jordan Bible Study. Diane has been married to her husband John over 27 years. She has 2 adult children and 3 grandchildren and 3 adult step-children with 7 grandchildren making 10 in all. She delights reading and teaching, but mostly laughing at the funny things her grandchildren say and do.




No comments: