Friday, June 22, 2012

Fearing God's Warnings


As I was looking for some material to use as a pop quiz I came across a few questions based on 2 Chronicles 7 & 8. One of the application questions was in reference to the promise and warning stated in 2 Chronicles 7:12-22. The promise - "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land" (2 Chronicles 7:14). The warning - "But if you turn away and forsake My statutes and My commandments which I have set before you and go and serve other gods, and worship them, then I will uproot them from My land which I have given them; and this house which I have sanctified for My name I will cast out of My sight, and will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples" (2 Chronicles 7:19-20).

And here is the application question - "Do I fear the the fulfillment of God's warnings as I desire the fulfillments of His promise?"

We have become very familiar with the verse containing the promise but how many of us could have recalled the warning? Throughout the years I have worked in Christian bookstores, I have seen many Promise Books: Promises for Men, Promises for Women, Promises for Teens, paperback and leather edition. Yet, I have never seen a book of God's Warnings. We love to be reminded of God's great promises but do we notice when He extends a warning for us to follow? Faithful are His promises but faithful are the consequences of disobedience as well. Promises make us "feel" good. Warnings make us squirm because we often want our own way. Like the children that we are we desire to rebel against our Father who is warning us for our own good, and from the purest motivation of love.

Here is the challenge - Can you and I trust not only great and precious promises, but also trust His many warnings and guidelines?

Blessings,

Kathy Withers

Kathy's on staff at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. Kathy has been married to her husband Dave for 26 years. They have two adult children. Kathy is active in her local Church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is to encourage women to deepen their walk with Jesus Christ by finding and living out the truths of God's Word.





No comments: