Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tribulation


"These things I have spoken to you that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer I have overcome the world." John 16:33

As we all know, we will go through some degree of affliction or distress, pain or sorrow in our Christian life. Our Lord doesn't want us to deny the pain or try to hide our sorrow; He knows what we are going through. "My heart is stricken and withered like grass, So that I forget to eat my bread" Psalm 102:4. God gives scripture so that we may learn to be different from our old ways of the world. My reaction to tribulation is really what is important, to live the word of our Lord to be true. I have to rely on His promises even when I can't understand the situation and my emotions are weak. It's vital for me to seek God and live out His instruction, trusting Him, anticipating the joy that is set before me. In my most painful moments I cry out to God. He reveals His holiness and quiets my cries, His faithfulness strengthens me to wait on Him. I reflect on how much He suffered to save my soul. I begin to worship Him and praise Him for all His love and realize the holiness of almighty God. I comprehend His sovereignty; with prayer He calms my soul to be still, to see His wondrous work. As I go through the most difficult times with God, God reveals Himself, gives me His strength, teaches me the intimacy of His love and changes me.

The people that don't know Christ will also go through tribulation. As Christians we have the opportunity to live God's word to be true or not. That makes the difference from the world's perspective. When I choose to pray and obey I can walk by faith and continuously trust in God. "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him" (Job 13:15). Let's see what God has to say regarding tribulation:

"And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance;" (Romans 5: 3). We are to rejoice in triumph, to be steadfast with our Lord.

"Who comforts us in all our affliction so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God" (2 Cor.1:4). We can understand and relate to others that are going through similar afflictions and give them comfort.

"Strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying" "Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God" (Acts 14:22). God gives us strength, encouragement and admonition.

"And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and burst against that house; and it fell, and great was its fall" (Matthew 7: 25). That we don't fall away from God.

My precious Lord, I can do all things through Him who strengthens me; thank you, Lord, I can do nothing without You. I need Your continuous help and guidance for my faith to grow and may the lost see Christ in my life.

Glory to God

Sandra Valdes
Staff Member, WOC Graduate





















No comments: