Monday, July 11, 2005

Life Verse

Psalm 119:36-38, "Incline my heart to Your testimonies, And not to covetousness. Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, And revive me in Your way. Establish Your word to Your servant, who is devoted to fearing You."

I admit I was a bit jealous. Everyone seemed to have a life verse but me. What's up with that? In October 2003, I was walking and memorizing Scripture out of my favorite Psalm -119 when I realized that what I was memorizing encapsulated my heart. So right then and there, I claimed it as my life verse. No one else can have it. It had all the important components for me.

"Incline my heart to Your testimonies and not to covetousness." In my flesh, my inclination is to my own wants and desires rather than God's word. Dr. Ed Welch (on of my seminary professors in the 90's) called it the "I wants". That's me, I get the 'I wants'. My desire is to be delighted in my heart with God's word to the point that I will be inclined to it.

"Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things." So many things vie for our attention. Even those that appear good are not if they draw our eyes away from God. Perhaps it is that new house, new car, a new husband, a thinner body, thicker hair, you name it, if they draw your eyes away from God, they are worthless things. "Revive me in Your way." Have you noticed that our way rarely works. Sooner or later we'll realize His way is best. Psalm 25:4-5, "Show me Your ways, O LORD; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day."

"Establish Your word to Your servant." I want God's word to be settled, well established, and deeply rooted in my heart. Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and
of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

"Who is devoted to fearing You." This is an area in my life that still needs growth. I want to develop a reverential fear of God that makes a difference in my walk with Jesus Christ. Ecclesiastes 12:13, "Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man."

My life verse tells me to love God more than anything, to follow hard after Him, to immerse myself in His word, and to fear Him. What more could I want?

Diane

No comments: