Friday, July 29, 2005

A Time To Keep Silent

I want to close out our month together with yet another thought about our tongues. One of the verses God used to cause me to stop and think was Proverbs 10:19, “When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.”

I had to learn that not every silly little thought that popped into my head had to come out my mouth. In fact, not every opinion I had needed to be shared, not matter how right I thought I was. As I have counseled numerous women, many struggle with the idea of “holding their tongue.” I hear, “I’m not just going to sit back and be quiet.” “I have a voice; I’m going to use it.” And “If I don’t speak up, he’ll never learn.” I am not suggesting that we never speak up or voice
our opinion, not at all. But I am learning we need to be women of discernment and discretion. There is, “A time to keep silence, and a time to speak.” (Ecclesiastes 3:7b)

We need to remember God has given us the ministry of reconciliation, of building up and encouraging, of speaking the truth in love. The Holy Spirit is at work, and He doesn’t need our advice and help. I believe that as women of integrity, honor and Christ-likeness we will learn
to “hold our tongue” when it is “a time to keep silence”.

Diane

No comments: