Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Pilgrimage

Like most people my spiritual growth occurred typically as motivated by events in my life. When various family members went through physical challenges in the 70’s my walk with Christ was established. Subsequently Christ, the Bible and living a certain way became a new part of my existence and thoughts. As a senior in High School and upon turning 18 my spiritual life took a new twist. During this time certain events had me doubting my faith and I was presented with opportunities to explore the social life common to my non-Christian peers. For two years my faith became stagnant and I played at being a Christian.

As a sophomore in college I realized that following Christ and really making him the Lord of my life was what would complete me rather than tear me apart. Thus, I began a steady growth spiritually and the integration of my faith into my life took shape. I have since had times of drought and even famine, but God has continued to work in my life and I have grown. As I have interacted with a variety of people it has become more and more evident to me that what is of utmost importance along this pilgrimage is keeping my “mind” stayed on Him. Living today in a time when what I see and hear can be so opposed to scripture I find it necessary to constantly
remind myself of the verses that challenge me to focus my “thoughts”.

Romans 12:1-2 ~ we are transformed and changed by our minds
Ephesians 4:17-24 ~ worldly thoughts equal a futile mind; in Christ we have focus and purpose
Phil 4:8-9 ~ think on that which is good
1 Samuel 16:7 ~ God looks on the heart (or mind)
Psalms 23:7 ~ our thinking determines who we become

So how is your pilgrimage going? Do you need to re-focus your thoughts? Today is the day to begin.

LDJ

No comments: