Friday, July 01, 2005

Yet Another Mask of Pride

Our theme this week, except for a special entry yesterday by Lynn, has been pride. I would like to close out our week with a thought about yet another mask of pride.

I often hear people say they have 'low self esteem' which many of them equate with humility. I don't want to step on any toes today, but 'low self esteem' is not a Biblical term.

I understand the thoughts and self-image of a person struggling with this problem, so please don't misunderstand me. I am not denying the existence of the problem, I am just questioning the root issue in the heart of an individual with such a low opinion of them self. About 4 years ago, I ran across the following quote from Beth Moore's book, Praying God's Word. I don't think I could say it better so I would like to just pass the quote on to you: "Remember, pride wears
many masks. I once spoke on pride only to have someone remark afterward that she had far too little self-esteem to have pride. Pride is not the opposite of low self-esteem. Pride is the opposite of humility. We can have a serious pride problem that masquerades as low self-esteem. Pride
is self-absorption whether we're absorbed with how miserable we are or how wonderful we are." (pg. 58)

It has always concerned me that our public school system was on a self-esteem program. I had an elementary teacher tell me a number of years ago that they did not teach the students sentence diagramming because it would hurt their self-esteem!!! Is it any wonder we have so
many angry, self-centered, arrogant youth today. We taught them that. If I have struck a cord with you today, my prayer is that you will take that thought to the Lord and ask Him to reveal your heart to you. He is a gentle savior.

Diane

No comments: