Wednesday, July 20, 2005

sharper than any two-edged sword

Hebrews 4:12 tells us, "For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (NKJV) In other words "God means what He says. What He says goes. His powerful Word is sharper than a surgeon's scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey." (The Message)

The thought of being cut by something so sharp is frightening! To have my thought-life laid open to reveal all its secret places is something I dread and long for simultaneously. Yet, in order for me to come to the place of obedience, I know that I must choose exposure to and saturation by the living and powerful Word of God Then and only then will any desire I have to "speak the truth in love" be marked by the sincere desire for what is best for the other person, rather than a desire to "speak my mind".

As the writer of Hebrews says, only God's Word has the power to reveal the thoughts and attitudes of my heart or yours. That means I must be slow, very slow to speak and pray what the writer of Psalms 12:3-4, so rightly penned, "May the Lord cut off all flattering lips and the tongue that speaks proud things, who have said, '"With our tongues we will prevail.'" Our lips are our own, who is Lord over us?"

Simply put, I do not own me; my lips or my heart! God owns all of me! He is Lord over me and He would have my words be seasoned with grace and thus an instrument for His righteous purpose...not mine.

My question for you:

Are the words that you speak to others seasoned with grace and love?

Stephanie

No comments: