Friday, February 17, 2006

Believing God for more what?

A few years ago, I was speaking at a women's retreat in Pennsylvania. It was in the fall and as usual I was looking for an opportunity to get back to nature and enjoy the out-of-doors. A small group of us decided to take a hike to the top of Spruce Mountain.
One of the women that went with us had been struggling with Epstein Bar and Fibromyalgia for years which often kept her from doing the physically active things she loved to do.
It was a moderate hike, crisscrossing back and forth across a stream sometimes small and shallow, sometimes a little more challenging. Up and up we went, laughing, joking and fellowshipping along the way. Periodically, we would stop to catch our breath and this woman would catch up to us with our hearts pounding and labored breathing. We frequently inquired if she was doing okay, not wanting to push her or leave her behind. She always gave us a cheery, "I'm fine. I can do this, because I'm believing God for more." She taught us all a life lesson that day.
I was sharing this story with the Higher Ground Ladies on Monday night and one of the women raised her hand and asked, "Believing God for more what?" I smiled, "more of whatever." For this woman, she was believing God for more physical strength. Perhaps you need to believe God for more hope, more trust, more faith, more perseverance, more of whatever you are lacking in your spiritual life. It is another way of saying, "I refuse to be satisfied, until I have more of Christ." We will never have enough of Him that we can sit back and be lazy. I want to be in constant pursuit of more of Him.
What area in your life do you want or need to believe God for more? Don't be satisfied with mediocre. Passionately pursue more.
Oh, by the way, we did a victory dance at the top of that mountain because she believed God for more, and He rewarded her faith.

Diane

No comments: