Friday, February 24, 2006

ONLY ONE LIFE WILL SOON BE PAST

ONLY ONE LIFE WILL SOON BE PAST
ONLY WHAT'S DONE FOR CHRIST WILL LAST

A plaque with these words hung in my parents' home for many years. It was on the wall at the bottom of the dining room stairs. You read it as you came down each morning and on the way up each night as you went to bed. To me, it was an adult thought. I loved my mom and dad, and I didn't want to think of their life being over - anytime!

Both of them were Christians and took my sister and me to Sunday school and church from early childhood. They raised us to respect and honor God, and to respect them as well. Dad worked hard, long hours, while Mom was a stay-at-home mom. God used both of them as Sunday school teachers and in various adult jobs in the church.

During the war years, Dad worked at the Navy-yard, building ships. He had to work many Sundays while we attended church. I lost quality father-daughter times in those years, but I thank God there were special memories, too.

At the early age of 59, God took Mom home. As she passed that plaque on her way up to bed, she didn't realize her life on earth would be over that night. My favorite song, "Finally Home", was sung at her funeral. Some of its lines are, "Just think of stepping on shore and finding it heaven, of touching a hand and finding it God's, of waking up in Glory and finding it home!" That is what God has ready for those who serve Him on earth.

Before Mom's death, she had visited us in New York. I had the privilege of walking with her and sharing what she meant in my life. God is so good! Mom's words were, "Take care of Dad". She knew her life would soon be over. She also knew her girls were serving the Lord, and this brought joy. "Thank you, Lord, for my mom."

Dad continued to live to be 81. He lived just five doors from us. God gave me memories then, with just Dad. On one occasion before a trip to visit my sister in Massachusetts, he came to my home, but he was sick. I prayed with him - which I had never done before. He was able to go on that trip for Christmas. He died there two weeks later. I'll never forget our last talk and praying together. He, too, knew he was "going home", for he had left some notes for us. "Thank you, God, for my dad."
You see, when you love the Lord and serve Him, you are ready when He calls you.

That special plaque is now gone, but its words remain in my memory and my heart. Now my husband and I are in our 70's. We, too, know that only what we do to serve and glorify the Lord will last. It's our privilege to continue to minister and serve Him. It is what counts! You never retire in working for the Lord. Philippians 1:21 "For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain."

1 comment:

Kathleeen said...

Does anyone know the author of this Quote?