Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Passion of a Kiss

The Passion of a Kiss

I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, Do not stir up nor awaken love Until it pleases.
Song of Solomon 8:4

I was privileged to hear about a couple who made a commitment during their courtship to not stir up certain feelings by drawing a line right at the start of the relationship in how they would relate physically to each other. Quite honestly, I was surprised not only at where the line was drawn but that the man was the one who drew the line. He told her that he would not kiss her on the lips until she was his wife. But what's even more amazing is that the woman was hoping he would do exactly that! She told me she took it as a confirmation from God that this guy was the real deal. She shared that in the past she would have had to be the one in a relationship to set the boundaries. It was encouraging to her to know that this man was willing to lead in that area. Her exact words were; "I knew then that I could trust him with my heart."
Now some may say; so what's the big deal about a kiss? When I was sixteen years old (way too young), I received my first kiss. WOW! It was not something I was prepared for, emotionally or physically. I wasn't sure what to do with all the feelings that came with that kiss. I'm thankful now that it stopped there. But at the time I wanted more! I liked the feelings that were stirred up and wanted to experience them again, Not only that but I thought that it meant this relationship was going someplace. I didn't know where but who cared, this was great! Keep in mind, this was a result of "simply kissing."
Talk about stirring up and awakening love before it's time! Needless to say, I never did go out with the boy again, but to this day I can remember not only that kiss but his name. Oh sure I moved on, but I can't say it didn't take away a little piece of my heart. The Lord tells us to guard our hearts. Proverbs 4:23, Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. How can we do that when we are in and out of relationships, especially when physical intimacy is involved.
Recently I clicked on to a music video on the net and there was a cell phone ad attached to it that was a girl sharing with others how by doing the following three things she could forget all about the man she just broke up with,
1. Get rid of all photos and memorabilia, i.e.: movie ticket stubs etc...
2. Delete his email address.
3. Last, delete his phone number from your cell, this will be especially helpful because a cell phone will always prompt that action with the question; Are you sure?
And there you have it ladies, he's gone, what was his name?? Yeah Right!

But mark this: there will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God- 2 Timothy 3:1-4

More tomorrow...

No comments: