Friday, February 10, 2006

It is my right to walk in victory

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
1 Corinthians 15:57

I was flipping through my Scripture memory cards when I came across a card in the very back of the spiral bound set. I don't remember writing this but it caused me to stop short and give some thought to this statement. "It is my right to walk in victory."
As a counselor, I spend considerable amounts of time trying to help people understand that when we surrender our so called rights in this life, it is then that we come into full surrender to Jesus Christ.
Wayne Mack, in his book, A Homework Manual for Biblical Living vol. 1 Personal and Interpersonal Problems (pg. 5-6) states "usually we become sinfully angry because we think some 'right' is being denied. He suggested the following 'rights' that we tend to cling to that can become idolatrous and lead us to sin: right for privacy, the right to have and express personal opinions; the right to respect; the right to be understood, the right to be supported, the right to earn and use money, the right to have and control personal belongings, the right to be successful and 26 other "rights".
The rights I am talking about are different. These rights are not personal rights on my own merit but my rights won on my behalf at the cross. I have the right to have peace of heart, because of Jesus. I have the right to drink in the Living Water, because of Jesus. I have the right to choose obedience, because of Jesus. I have the right to believe the One True God, because of Jesus. I have the right to freedom, because of Jesus. I have the right to walk victoriously, because of Jesus.
Are you as excited about that thought as I am? Say it out loud. "I have the right to walk in victory." Remind yourself of that truth, daily.
Thank You Lord, for the rights I have because of Jesus.

Diane

No comments: