Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Pause, Pray and Practice Principle

The Pause, Pray and Practice Principle

If you have been on this Victory Call journey with us long enough you may recall a devotional I wrote about the PAUSE AND PRAY Principle. As women we are prone to respond in the moment and respond in our emotions. For me, if I respond in my emotions, in the moment I am, more likely than not, going to sin with my words or my face (which is reflecting the attitude of my heart).
For some time now I have encouraged women to practice the PAUSE AND PRAY principle. Very few, and I do mean, very few incidences require we respond immediately with the first thing that comes to our mind and tongue. Instead, we need to take some time to remove our self from the situation and pray until we have God's peace and can deal with the situation with a quiet and gentle spirit of godliness. This may take a few minutes to a few weeks. Pause and pray until...
I am not suggesting that women should be silent. On the contrary, God has given women intellect, insight and wisdom which may need to be brought to bear on a particular situation. However, it is wise to be silent until we can give that input gently, calmly and peaceably. In instances where confrontation is called for, much more value will come out of a peaceful interaction than one that rages at mega-decibels with unkind and ungodly words.
Stephanie and I were recently discussing a situation in which this principle seemed to be applicable but we went on further to say it would be good to practice how to and what needs to be said. That is why I have added the PRACTICE part of the PAUSE, PRAY AND PRACTICE principle. Practice your words, after you have paused and prayed, otherwise you will be practicing the wrong stuff. Practice kindness, practice grace-filled, respectful, godly speech. Practice. Practice. Practice.
After Pausing, Praying and Practicing, and God has given you peace, then go and deal with the issue. It is more likely to be heard by the other, and you will be blessed for having obeyed.

Diane

No comments: