Friday, March 10, 2006

The Church with the Lighthouse

The Church with the Lighthouse

Isaiah 42:6
"I, the LORD, have called You in righteousness,
And will hold Your hand;
I will keep You and give You as a covenant to the people,
As a light to the Gentiles,
Last month we celebrated Valentine's Day. I really like this holiday because it reminds me of so many people I love. Growing up in my family all the kids got boxes of chocolates shaped like hearts and usually a stuffed animal. I knew I was loved but the outward signs are still nice. Nothing wrong with affirming your love for someone, whether it is your kids, parents, friends or spouse, but maybe especially your spouse. Recently a pastor's wife shared with me that she loved lighthouses and that her husband had the steeple removed from their church and built a lighthouse in its place. How cool is that! Talk about an affirmation of love!
It turns out that the Lord not only used this in their lives but in the lives of the community they live in. People who never attend the church comment often on how nice it looks, how they look out their window from home and can see "The Church with the Lighthouse." They hope to one day renovate the foyer so that people can see up into the lighthouse from inside the church and how awesome it would be to actually have a beacon of light in there.
You never know what will draw a person to Christ. One thing that drew me to my church was the sign they had out front; it read "No Jesus No Peace, Know Jesus Know Peace." I'd been reading that sign as I drove by for weeks but when it came time to choose a place for help I remembered the church with the sign outside. I was saved there five years ago and I can say the sign was true! If the lost can be drawn in by a symbol of light imagine when they see the True Light in the eyes of a believer how great that light will be! I'm sure the Lord is using "The Church with the Lighthouse" to be as the Word says; "As a light to the Gentiles."
Dina

No comments: