Monday, March 27, 2006

Isn't sorry enough?

Isn't sorry enough?

Sometimes sorry just isn't enough. Have you ever been sorry about something, and tried to make it right and couldn't? When I say make it right I don't mean in the sense of erasing the words or actions but repairing a relationship that has been damaged. I know I have people in my life, one in particular that I have hurt and wish I could have the forgiveness of that person and a restored trust.
Since coming to Christ and receiving the ultimate forgiveness, I am by God's grace able to forgive as I have been forgiven. Don't get me wrong, I do struggle with this from time to time, but I have power that I never had before coming to Christ. I know what it is to be forgiven before I even knew I needed to be! I also realize that my past choices have consequences that could remain for a lifetime. Having someone's forgiveness doesn't guarantee a restored relationship and in some cases it may be wise not to restore a relationship. However, there are some cases that deserve that chance.
A friend recently shared that he was estranged from his sister for some time due to his past. The brother is now living for Christ and is not the same person she once knew. She however is still without Christ, living a very comfortable lifestyle and chooses estrangement. What I find amazing is that this woman seems to have "everything" yet nothing of true value. She has money, a home etc..., it would seem she possess very little.
Not only has God forgiven his sins, HE has also forgotten them. Although the relationship has yet to be restored, God has given my friend eyes to see and ears to hear, a treasure that neither moth nor rust can destroy. He has also given him many brothers and sisters in the Lord. And while we wait for prayers of restoration to be answered, we can rejoice in the perfect love that hopes all things.

Sorrow is meant to lead us to repentance. And that is enough for the Lord.

Sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything.
2 Corinthians 6:10 (NIV)

No comments: