Monday, March 20, 2006

A Preacher's Wife

A Preacher's Wife

I recently had the privilege of joining some ladies for dinner who happen to hold the above title. I really enjoyed being with them. They all were very different yet in some ways very much alike. It's interesting to see them with their hair down, so to speak. Now I'm not a pastor's wife, or even a wife at the moment; but I am in ministry and I understand there are times when it can be difficult to just relax. The funny thing is they were the ones telling us Keswick ladies it was ok to let our hair down with them! Ironic, they usually hold the position of ministering and yet here we were doing that for them. They were very gracious and appreciative.
I couldn't help but think of my own Pastor and his wife, how great they have treated me all these years. How many times I have asked for prayer or have needed them in some way and there they were. Not that they could fix everything but for support, prayer, encouragement, teaching and love. That's what I picked up on that night; they loved what they do for Jesus.
As usual I had a very loaded question rolling around in my mind. So of course I posed it to them: What is the best thing about being a pastor's wife? In essence they all gave the same two answers!
First: it was their husbands. Being able to minister beside them, work with them toward the same goal, and spend their time together not just at home but often at work. What was really cool was the look on their faces when they spoke of their husbands; I saw adoration, appreciation, love, pride, thankfulness and above all respect. One of the ladies put it this way; she said; "When I watch him preaching and he's really going for it and giving it his all, it's just the best." I was really pleased to hear that and I told her to make sure she often tells him that, she said; "Oh, I do." They said the second best thing is when they pour their hearts out to someone and love them in Christ and they respond, and lives are changed. However, the other side of that coin when they pour out their hearts and it is not fruitful. Or when someone they have tried to love returns that love with unkindness, gossip or turning away.
I was sharing a special story with them about my own pastor and his wife and how good it makes me feel that they are so much in love and it shows. I would be discouraged if they had difficulty there. But one of these wise pastor's wives reminded me of something very true, she said; "just remember they are not perfect, only human." So true! I can sometimes forget that we are all works in progress, me included. I do believe in holding each other accountable especially if you have been called to lead. The enemy works hard at attacking those in leadership, and we need to pray for them. How quick we are to call on them for help and should when we need to but how often we do we neglect to encourage our pastors and their wives as they serve. When was the last time I prayed for them, brought them a meal, sent them a card or called just to say hi or ask, "how are you guys doing"? When was the last time you did? Today would be a good day to let them know they are appreciated.

Romans 10: 14-15,
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
"How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things!"
Dina

No comments: