Friday, March 17, 2006

Sweeter than honey to my mouth

Psalm 119:103, "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
Do you yearn for the word? Do you immerse yourself in it as often and as long as possible? For some of us that might be moments stolen through the day, for others we have the freedom to sit for extended periods of time and read to our hearts content. Do you look forward to being in the word as much as you look forward to that sticky bun?
I remember as a kid, more than a few years ago, when I knew mom had made her famous caramel buns; I found it easier to get out of bed in the morning. In fact, you couldn't keep me in bed when I knew one of mom's sticky, gooey caramel rolls was waiting for me. I have long since given up eating sticky buns, but I still remember being motivated to get up because of them.
Are God's words sweet to your taste? Do you sit and savor every bite? Are you enticed to get out of bed, or to forgo television or your favorite novel to nourish your soul with the very words of God? Do you find your endeavor satisfying even satiating to your soul hunger?
Jeremiah 31:14, "I will satiate the soul of the priests with abundance, and My people shall be satisfied with My goodness, says the LORD."
Deuteronomy 8:3, "...man does not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the LORD."
Psalm 34:8, "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;"
Psalm 63:1, "O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land where there is no water."
I have found that the more time I spend in the Word, the more time I want to spend in the Word and the less time I spend in the Word, the less time I want to spend in the Word.
How are you doing with your pursuit of Christ through the Word?
Diane

No comments: