Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Recall the Gentle Guiding Hand of Jesus

"Show me Your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long." (NIV)
Psalm 25:4-5

I don't even remember setting out to commit these verses to memory but over the years it has some how become one in my repertoire of verses. I find myself praying them frequently, sometimes without even realizing it. I love these two verses. They express my hearts desire, in my spirit.
Why is it then that far too often I live contrary to that longing? Why do I often seek my own ways and try to get others to get on my path? Why do I know God's truth but fail to apply it and hear God's teaching but prefer my own way of doing things? Why do, at times, I act like I had anything to do with my salvation? Perhaps worst of all, to outside observers, it is likely to appear at times as if my hope is in myself all day long? See, in my flesh, I do not seek God, I do not desire His way, His will or His salvation. In my flesh, I want what all of us want and that is my own way.
I am so thankful that Jesus came and things can be different. "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires." Romans 8:5

It is my heart's desire to know and follow the ways of God. I eagerly seek Him for the guidance of His truth. He is a wonderful, gentle teacher. "Come to me, all you who are wary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30
Oh, how my heart soars when I recall the gentle guiding hand of Jesus. I remember asking Jesus over and over again, "What lesson do you have for me today?" He is always faithful, always gentle, and always true. I truly have found that my hope is in Him all day long.

Diane

No comments: