Friday, March 03, 2006

Where are you today?

As we have been gathering together the last few days of this week, I have invited you to join me in the throne room that together we may just sit and enjoy being the very presence of God. I have been challenged and hopefully have passed that challenge on to you to set my affections upon Christ.
I was recently spending my morning Bible reading time when it struck me that I needed to confess to the Lord, that far too many days that is exactly what I am doing. I am spending time reading the Bible. I have often referred to that time as my devotions. Honestly, that doesn't really describe what I am doing. To me if I was having devotions, my time would be characterized with heart-felt devotion to Jesus Christ, with sitting and gazing into the eyes of My Lord. I have also referred to my morning time as "spending time with God". Well, that doesn't really describe my time either. I have to confess that far too many days; "reading my Bible" best describes my activity during that time.
I found myself praying that morning, "Lord, I really want to experience You during this time. I want to spend this time in pure, unadulterated heart-devotion to You. When I walk away from my desk, I want to know I have spent time with You. Teach me Lord. Show me Lord."
I was touched that very week by a selection in Halliday and Travis' devotional book, How Great Thou Art.
"Hearts that are 'fit to break' with love for the Godhead are those who have been in the Presence and have looked with opened eye upon the majesty of Deity...They had been in the Presence of God, and they reported what they saw there. They were prophets, not scribes, for the scribe tells us what he has read, and the prophet tells what he has seen.
The distinction is not an imaginary one. Between the scribe who has read and the prophet who has seen, there is a difference as wide as the sea. We are today overrun with orthodox scribes, but the prophets, where are they? ...the church waits for the tender voice of the saint who has penetrated the veil and has gazed with inward eye upon the Wonder that is God..." A.W. Tozer
I want to be a prophet as Tozer describes here. I want to gaze upon the beauty of God and experience Him in my inner man, so that I may go and share with others what I have seen, the One True Living God.

Where are you today? Are you 'reading your Bible" or "Spending time with God"?
Are you a scribe sharing with others what you have read or a prophet sharing what you have seen? May we all pursue the Presence of God.

Diane

No comments: