Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places

"The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Yes, I have a good inheritance." Psalm 16:6
I was going through a season of sinful discontentment in my life when God used this very verse to redirect my thinking.
It is so easy, natural and fleshly to see and focus on the negative things in life. Let's face it, we all have those things. After a while, it can become all we think about and surely it affects our entire attitude and behavior. We process all of life's events through the grid of discontentment. It becomes a burden that robs us of our joy.
I remember reading Psalm 16:6, "The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Yes, I have a good inheritance." As I sat back in my chair, it occurred to me that truly I had a good life with many positive and good things to be thankful for.
I have not met a person yet that didn't have something to be thankful for; in fact, many things to be thankful for. However, I have met many people who were discontent. I think for most of us, it is a matter of where or what we choose to set our thoughts on.
Discontentment is not only dissatisfaction with our situation or circumstance; it is ultimately displeasure with God's provision for you.
Our focus can change in a moment when we call to mind God's abundant provision on our behalf. "I will sing to the LORD, because He Has dealt bountifully with me." Psalm 13:6; "He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me."
Where is your focus today? Can you believe together with me that our boundary lines have fallen in pleasant places?

Diane

No comments: