Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Close Encounters Part 1

Close Encounters Part 1

We don't have to wait until we go through trials to have a "close encounter" with God like Job did. In fact, it's wiser to seek to have many, many encounters with God before trials come. Seek God's face just because you want to not because you have to! I can't think of a better reason to seek God's presence than to just enjoy His company and to know Him more intimately...and that is what God wants too...to enjoy an intimate relationship with us.
I recently had a wonderful close encounter with God and I have to tell you, it was a glorious day! And I hunger for more of them. The morning of January 4th I had an awesome quiet time with the Lord. In Higher Ground (Bible study/support group) we had begun a new study by Steve McVey, "The Godward Gaze." It stressed the importance of taking time to gaze into the face of God to draw closer to Him. That was what I sought to do that morning. In my prayer time I asked the Lord to take my busy day and sift it. I wanted to be on God's schedule not mine. I also asked God for two other things: to fill me with His joy and to abundantly bless one of the tasks on my to-do list.
Two hundred and forty dollars had been donated for updating the Colony of Mercy's Christmas decorations. It wasn't a great deal of money to purchase a tree and all the decorations for it...but I knew that God was able to take $240 and bless it exceedingly and abundantly above all I could imagine.

Jesus said in John 14:13-14 "I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name and I will do it."

I was so filled with joy I don't think my feet touched the ground! I believed God would bless my way. I walked into the first Christmas store with a smile and the joy of the Lord in my heart. The management there wasn't helpful and totally unfriendly. All my joy and all my smiles just couldn't seem to break through. If the Lord had not been with me, I would have probably given her an attitude back and stormed out of the store. But that's kind of hard to do when you're filled with His joy.
I thanked the manager and with a smile told her because of her poor attitude and lack of helpfulness I couldn't purchase the tree I had picked out and left the store. My heart began to thump and for a minute my joy began to slip away. I sat down in my car and prayed "Lord I pray that this wouldn't steal my joy. Fill me to overflowing, bless my path and may You be glorified."

1 Thessalonians 5:15-17 "Make sure nobody pays back wrong for wrong but always try to be kind to each other and everyone else. Be joyful always, pray continually."

I was filled to overflowing and began to sing in my car, "the joy of the Lord is my strength" and headed down the road. I realized this had been a test. Would I allow someone to steal my joy or would I just trust God no matter what? I chose to trust God.

Mary Ann Kiernan serves as Intake Manager and Women's ministry at America's KESWICK.

No comments: