Monday, February 18, 2008

WHY?

Why?

The number one question of my 3 year old grandson Elijah is "Why?" It's been a while since my sons were at that age and I had forgotten the challenge it is to answer the inquisitive minds of toddlers! I do my best to answer his questions but interestingly, no matter what answer I give, there is always another "why?" to follow. Then I'll just answer "Well, Elijah I just don't know," which is always followed by a "Why?" He is just not satisfied with my answers!
I can't help but think that as adults, we're no different than children who ask why. After 20 years of marriage a husband announces he's walking out on his wife and family. Why? A best friend betrays a confidence and hurts you deeply. Why? Lab tests reveal a serious illness. Why? Children you have loved and raised in a Christian home choose to live a sinful lifestyle. Why?
As a counselor I hear that question asked often. It seems as if "the answer" is the only thing that will give satisfaction, peace or understanding to the hurt, pain or suffering they are going through. The truth is there is never really an answer that will satisfy the "why" itch because just like Elijah, there is always another why to follow.
Job, a righteous man, lost everything - family, wealth, respect and then even his health. Job asked the question "why" over 19 times! Job was ready to state his case before God! He wanted answers!

Job 23:3-5 "If only I knew where to find him [God]; if only I could go to his dwelling! I would state my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments. I would find out what he would answer me..."

Job did get his audience before God but he didn't get answers to all his "why" questions. Instead Job had a personal encounter with God that would make the answers to his questions seem so unimportant.
Job 42:3-5 "Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. You said, 'Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.' My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you."
Only God knows the answers to our "why" questions and almost all the time, He just isn't willing to share that information. If each one of us would seek Him in the midst of our suffering and have a personal encounter with God...then the drive to know why would melt away. The truth is...all we go through is for our good and Gods glory, to refine us as gold.
Perhaps you've only heard about God with your ears...seek a personal encounter with Him and you will never be the same and the "why's"...well they just won't matter much because you have had a personal encounter with God.

MaryAnn Kiernan serves at America's KESWICK part-time at the Colony of Mercy overseeing intakes and part-time counseling in the women's ministry.

No comments: