Saturday, February 09, 2008

Eternity in Our Hearts

Eternity in our hearts...
Ecclesiastes 3:11 "...He has put eternity in their hearts"

Time seems to be accelerating. The older I get the faster time seems to go. I once was speaking to my dear co-worker and friend John Caruthers who was expressing his frustration at how fast time seemed to be elapsing. I was somewhat naively dismayed that at 82 it hadn't gotten any better, in fact on his report it continues to get worse. Many of us have trouble living by the clock. Others find it difficult to not live by the clock. Our lives are structured by time.
I remember one camping trip my husband and I took agreeing not to take our watches or any clocks with us. I chuckle as I remember that weekend clearly as we spent the weekend trying to guess what time it might be. I didn't know when to start lunch or dinner or even when it was appropriate to go to bed. It just reiterated to me how reliant we are on timepieces.

On the fourth day of creation, God said "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs an seasons, and for days and years; ...Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night." (Genesis 1:14, 16). God created time in the very beginning of creation, not only after the fall of Adam and Eve. When I began this Victory Call, my point was going to be that time was God's creation for man which became necessary AFTER the fall of man, but as I read the Genesis account again I saw this verse that said God designed the lights to be "for signs and seasons, and for days and years." God created time for our benefit, not His.
In spite of time, God has put eternity in our hearts. Our spirits confirm this as each of us has experienced the strain and stress time can put on us. We are created for eternity. We will not be fully at rest until we are there.

Diane Hunt is Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK.

No comments: