Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Lord, Use My Mouth

Lord, use my mouth!
How do you feel when someone says "I love you"? or "You did a great job"? or "I like your hair darker. It makes you look younger"? If you have been practicing what not to say or biting your tongue I want to remind you of all the good we can do with the words that come from our mouths. Today is the part where we practice saying something nice.
For many of us we can remember the hurtful words spoken to us but rarely remember the positive things that were said. All the more reason to practice how we use our words. Words stick. They play over and over again in our minds even if they are false words said out of a dirty heart. As I was shopping the other day I heard how a mother was talking to her child. The hair on the back of my neck stood up. Before Christ, I sounded the same way! And even as I have shared I relapse at times too. I just know those words will play over and over again in that little girls mind for years to come, maybe her whole life! Words like stupid, ugly and good-for-nothing tend to follow us wherever we go. Knowing that, don't you want to prevent your words from negatively following others around? We need to practice positive words; using words that build up and not tear down. Proverbs 15:4 says "a wholesome tongue is a tree of life." Don't you want to speak life? Our words should be full of thanksgiving. (Eph 1:15-16). Our words should point others in a good direction (Colossians 3:16). Our words should express hope (1 Thess. 5:11, 14). Our words should bring others together (Colossians 3:13).
Today our challenge is to use words of comfort, healing and love- especially when you would be tempted to do otherwise! Look for someone today who may need a compliment. Find someone who needs hope and encouragement. Answer those harsh words spoken to you with a well spoken word. Lastly, if you have a struggle with a family member or friend may words of peace, reconciliation and restoration be in your heart and on your lips. I am praying for you to have wisdom and courage as God uses your words today!

Kathy Withers serves in the Keswick Book and Gift Shop

No comments: