Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Lord, Shut My Mouth

Lord, shut my mouth.
I recently dyed my hair from blonde to auburn. As I have seen friends and family the reactions have varied. Some look shocked. Some laughed. Some thought I looked younger-my personal favorite! Some had the wisdom to remember their mommas told them- "If you don't have anything nice to say; don't say anything at all". I have had a few reminders as I watch my heart and my mouth and strive to keep them washed clean. That saying is one of them.
Learning to just keep my mouth shut has been a very challenging exercise! It is a hard choice to choose- not being heard at all or heard saying the wrong thing in the wrong way. Maybe it isn't that we CAN'T say something but that the mature thing would be NOT to say anything. Rather, you and I need to take the time to think about it, rehearse it over in our minds, to search our hearts, to pray hard for godly wisdom. I am usually reactionary so it is hard for me to bite my tongue. But I know no matter how hard it is the best choice is to simply say nothing at all. If I have to say something it should be something like- "Can I get back to you on that?" or "That is something I will have to really pray about before I respond. Can you give me some time before I answer you?" Proverbs 17:28 says "Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace, when he shuts his lips he is considered wise."
Another reminder came through a challenge to pray the Prayer of Jabez. "And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, " Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that your hand would be with me, and that you would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" 1 Chronicles 4:10. Let me paraphrase or personalize- Lord, Keep your hand over my mouth, keep my mouth from evil, that my mouth may not cause pain! That has been a good prayer for me to pray!
Here are few more reminders that have helped me keep my mouth shut!
Proverbs 10:19 "Restraining your lips is wise."
Proverbs 21:23 "Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles."
Proverbs 12:18 "There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, But the tongue of the wise promotes health."
Ephesians 4:31 "Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice."
Today would you practice biting your tongue? Trust me, sister, I feel your pain!
Kathy Withers is a great Bible teacher/speaker and serves in the Keswick Book and Gift Shop.

No comments: