Monday, February 11, 2008

It Is A Wonderful Life


It is a wonderful life.

My husband, Glen, just finished a live production of "It's A Wonderful Life". Over the month of December, I attended six of the twenty performances.
In case you don't know the story, in a crisis George Bailey began to feel everyone around him would be better off if he had never been born. Have you ever felt that way? I have. There have been times when it seemed that I had messed up so badly and hurt so many people that they and my family would most definitely be better off if I was not on the scene. An "angel" named Clarence decided to let him see what life would be for George's family and friends if George had never been born. He was allowed to see that many would have died, others would have always been alone, others would have been jobless and/or penniless, and many would have felt worthless and discouraged.
I let my imagination run wild and thought what life might be like for others if I hadn't been born. Hmmmm. Obviously my children would not be here, and I would not have learned through our grief experience how to comfort others. Others would not be comforted.
Most of all others would not know about Christ because I wasn't there to tell them. Ahhh, I wouldn't know about Christ. Not only would we miss a lot if we weren't here, but I believe others would miss a lot if we had never been here. In other words, we have an impact on others. Negative or positive is our choice. So God has not made a mistake by allowing us to enter this world. Most definitely not! He knew what He was doing.
John 15: 16 "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit." God not only chose you and me, but He gave us an assignment. We are to bear fruit by telling others about Jesus and therefore impacting their lives. Are you following His assignment? Thank goodness God never has to say "Oops."

Marilyn Heavilin is a speaker, authors of numerous books including ROSES IN DECEMBER, and serves at America's KESWICK each summer with her husband, Glen, as Counselor-in-Residence.

No comments: