Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Physical Body Deterioates, But Does My Spiritual Body ...

My Physical Body Deteriorates, But Does My Spiritual Body Have to go with it?

Living in an "over-55 Community" is an interesting phenomenon. Yes, I will admit it (reluctantly) - I am over 55. How that happened is the topic for another time. The fact is that I am getting older and I can't say that I am aging "gracefully." Maybe no one really does, but I do see many that seem to have been able to "cheat" the mirror and look younger than their years.

I was sitting in my office a week or so ago, speaking with one of our volunteers. As we talked, she mentioned her age and I sat up straight in my chair. "You're kidding!" I said. "You can't be that old." Thankfully she took it as the compliment I intended it to be. She seemed to have more stamina than I do, for sure. I must admit, that at that moment, I was a little jealous. Then we talked a little more and I realized that she had some physical challenges of her own. And if am really honest - I felt a little better - it was OK for me to have aches and pains.

But if I took better care of myself - ate a healthier diet (and praise the Lord, chocolate is now considered an anti-oxidant), exercised more often, and rested when I was tired (instead of staying up late to watch something on TV), I would be in better shape physically.

Then I got to thinking about the condition my spiritual body is in. Presumably, as I age in my Christian walk, I should be more mature and wise. But am I? Again, if I am honest, my spiritual body is suffering from aches and pains, just like my physical body.

And the same reasons that my physical body is suffering are the reasons my spiritual body is also not as healthy as it should be. My spiritual diet is too full of things that don't contribute to building it up. "As newborn babes desire the sincere milk of the Word that ye may grow thereby" (I Peter 2:2). My spiritual diet often is too superficial - no real milk - no protein, as it were, to build it up. I spend too much time doing stuff (and even though it is worthwhile stuff), I need to rest and set myself aside to have time to listen to what God wants to say to me through His Word and prayer. Then, and only then, is it time for me to exercise my spiritual body - maybe through volunteer work in my church, maybe through visiting a sick neighbor or friend to share some encouraging thoughts with them, maybe walking around my block and sharing the good news of God's redeeming love and power with some of my unsaved neighbors.

Eventually, however, my physical body will wear out no matter how much good care I take of it, but praise the Lord, that as I feed on His Word, rest in Him and listen to His will for my life, and exercise my spiritual and other gifts for His glory, my spiritual body will grow stronger and healthier with each passing day.

Lynn is the Director of Human Resources at America's KESWICK. She is active in her church and is a gifted planner and organizer. She has a real heart for people as evidenced by her care, concern and practical encouragement.

No comments: