Thursday, March 27, 2008

Worry or Trust?

When our son was only nine years old, the ophthalmologist recommended Matthew start wearing contact lens. At that time we were staff members with Campus Crusade for Christ, and our budget was extremely limited. We were blessed to know a Christian optometrist who charged us almost nothing for his services. We had contact lens insurance which included a sizeable deductible. Matthew was very careful of his lens; however, as an active nine year old, he still lost several lens. I became overly protective and almost obsessed about Matt not losing those lens, especially about not having to spend the money we really didn't have for the insurance deductible.

God spoke to me one day about trusting Him with everything in my life, including Matt's lens! After much consideration, I gave the lens to God and to seal the deal, I told Matt what I had done. I told him I would not harass him any more. I could almost see that little guy physically relax and he breathed a sigh of relief.

Needless to say, it was not long until a neighbor child ran to our door and said, "Mrs. Heavilin, Matt lost a lens on the grass. He asked me to come and tell you because he is hunting for the lens." On grass? As I walked over to the yard where Matt had been playing, I tried to gather my thoughts and compose myself. When I got to Matt, I said, "Matt, remember I told you I had promised God I would trust Him with your lens?" Matt nodded yes. "Well, Matt, can you pray and ask God to help us find your lens?" I have to admit, I wasn't sure I could pray, so I asked Matt if he would. I will always remember as we formed a circle and held hands as Matt prayed. "Dear Lord, It sure would be nice if we could find my lens. But if not, thanks anyway, Lord." After the prayer Matt, his friend and I knelt down and began to comb the grass. Suddenly Matt hollered, "I found it!" It was much easier for all of us to take time to thank the Lord for the miracle of the lens.

As I walked away, I realized God had answered my prayer to make me a kinder, gentler mom. God had taught Matt that God even cared about a tiny, almost invisible, little lens, and more than that, Matt learned God cared about him! We both learned we could pray for anything, in front of anyone.

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?...But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" (Matthew 6:27, 33).

Marilyn is a wife and mother, author, and international conference and retreat speaker. She and her husband Glen serve as Counselors-in-Residence at America's KESWICK during the summer months.

No comments: