Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Treasure

Treasure
Matthew 6:19-21
What can I do with a 74 year old check? It's for $6.00, made out to my mother. She never cashed it, and I can't! I've waited too long.

The story is special, worth more to me than the check. You see, my mother sent my picture into a Gimble's Department Store baby contest. I was about one year old. In May I will be 75! I won the contest, and my mom must have been so proud. She hung the photo in a frame with the winning $6.00 check in the corner of the picture. I've been going through some of Mom's "treasures" and there they were. The check was behind the picture. Since Mom is now in Heaven, I can't ask her why she never cashed the check. I do know it was the year of the "Depression" in 1933. Both the bank and Gimble's are gone!

I know my mom loved my sister and me, but I also know how much she loved the Lord. She accepted Him into her heart when she was a child and served Him in many ways. Her life verse was Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in Heaven."

All her life, as my sister and I grew up, she taught children in Sunday School and loved them all. I was in her class and learned of Jesus. Her friends, and also our friends, were always welcome in our home. I remember I wanted to be like her! What a witness she was! She also visited a home for pregnant teenage girls, and along with her adult Sunday school class brought them God's Word, love and gifts!

I'm so glad Mom "cashed in" the gift God gave her: John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever beleiveth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

Don't wait until it's too late. Claim that verse, too; accept Jesus into your heart and receive the treasure He promised you - everlasting life!

Dottie is the bride of Chaplain Jack Noel (50 years), mother of 3 married sons, and grandmother to 8. She is a genuine prayer warrior and her love for Jesus Christ is evident to all who know her.

No comments: