Monday, March 24, 2008

Psalm 139:16: All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

You can imagine my amazement when I heard the following information presented on the Christian radio station I was listening to. It was reported that survey results indicated that the worst age to be is 44. On average, people indicated the most difficult year for them was the year they were 44. I'm sure you understand my relief when I realized I was past the worst year of my life by a few years (perhaps more than a few). The announcer went on to say that the reason the pollsters believed this was true was because 44 is smack dab in the middle of middle age!! Horror or horrors. MIDDLE AGE? My heart sank. I was under the impression all this time that I was gearing up to ENTER middle age, only to discover that I'm probably on my way past middle age!! What comes after middle age? I dare ask.

As I was driving home from work that day, hearing for the first time that I am not only not middle age I'm likely past it, my mind started to go where none of us want our minds to go, "to infinity and beyond" (it sounds better when Buzz Lightyear says it). A panic started to creep into my heart. Am I old? Absolutely nothing about that sounds right to me. I don't feel old, in fact a good amount of the time I don't even act my age. Before the panic could take root, I reminded myself of a few simple truths. I was only seconds older than I was before I heard the report of this survey, not years older. Nothing really had changed just my knowledge of what some define as middle age. Age is relative. We are all growing older at the same rate, one second at a time.

As a young child I had an inordinate fear of death, most likely triggered by the death of my Papa when I was about 7. As I have counseled some 17 years now, I have had the opportunity to speak to more than one adult who struggles with the fear of old age and death. For many it is the fear of the unknown. Can we trust God with the unknown?

Isn't that really the bottom line? Do we trust God? Whether we are young, middle-age or elderly, do we trust God with our life and breath? Do we rest in His provision and care? Whatever lies ahead of us or around the corner, do we trust that God will be sufficient in those moments?

Whether you are 18 or 88, God holds your days in His hands, every single one of them.

Psalm 139:16: All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK, Biblical Counselor, Conference and retreat speaker, Victory Call editor, wife, mother, grandmother, and nut.

No comments: