Friday, March 21, 2008

True to the Word

True To The Word

Years ago, when I was a small group leader, I was challenged to have a Jehovah's Witness attend the Bible Study I was serving in. Frankly, it scared me to death to have a very strong, vocal woman with differing views in my group. I had many other leaders offer me materials on Jehovah's Witness' so I would be informed of their beliefs. My Teaching Director very wisely stated, "Kathy already has everything she needs. She has the truth of God's Word."

I am growing increasingly concerned that believers remain true to the Word of God. I have seen the distorted views some are taking when it comes to the Bible. If you have yet to hear of the Emerging Church or the direction some churches are taking to market themselves to the world, you will. Recently, a gentleman came into the Bookstore and we began to chat. He stressed his "spirituality" but did not use the Bible as his standard for living. I have heard "Jesus was a nice guy" and "The Bible is a good narrative" from others. How can we be prepared when truth is under attack or considered unimportant?

I have personally had to get an education on the Emerging Church in order to know the ideology of this movement. I don't want to encourage you to fill your mind with the other worldly views. I want to encourage you to remain faithful to the truth found in the Word! Simply- know your Bible! Over the last year or more I have dug into the Word more then I ever have. I am seeking truth over legalism, truth over tradition and truth over the deceit of this world.

In these last days the Bible tells us that false christs and false prophets would deceive even the elect (believers) if possible (Matt.24:24). Do you see it happening? I do! Satan's tactics are the same. Remember the Garden of Eden? Satan asked Eve "has God indeed said...". He caused doubt and he deceived Eve. You and I need to know what God has indeed said......be in the Word...know TRUTH!

My prayer is Psalm 119. The title in my Bible says "Meditations on the Excellencies of the Word of God". Psalm 119 is the longest Psalm but; read it; pray it, and even memorize it! May God find us faithful!

Kathy is on staff fulltime at the Keswick Book and Gift Shop. She is married to her husband, Dave and has two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is the Word of God and encouraging women to dig deeper into the truths of the Bible.

No comments: