Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Crucible of Conflict

The Crucible of Conflict

God is teaching me a great deal about myself through conflict. I can see that leadership is easy when everyone agrees and cooperates. But a true leader is formed and refined in the crucible of conflict, where every thing doesn't fit into nice boxes.

It's not so much that I don't like people to disagree, I welcome it because there have been many times I have overlooked something and another person's viewpoint has been very beneficial. I don't see disagreement as conflict as much as an exchange of ideas that challenges us to move from good, to better, to best. Conflict, as it were, is a disagreement in which one or both of the individuals is unwilling to compromise or yield their viewpoint to the other.

James 4:1-2, "What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it..."

Conflict reveals the heart issues of both individuals involved. God has been teaching me the issues of my own heart through recent conflicts. For one thing, pride: I want to be right. For another, fear of man: I want to be liked. And yet another, self-righteousness: I want to be respected. God has also shown me how these very same issues impacted my parenting as my children grew up. I often backed down from conflict out of a sinful response on my part and in so doing I failed to follow-through with what I knew was the right thing.

God has shown me that to be an effective, godly leader I must learn to love and lead in the midst of conflict, in spite of conflict. Being aware of this area of weakness, it will only be the power of Christ in me that will grow me up in Him, our perfect leader. 2 Corinthians 12:9, ""My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

I truly am grateful for the recent conflict in my life because God is using it to reveal areas of weakness in me and I believe He is preparing me for the work in my life that only He can accomplish. Diane Hunt is Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK

No comments: