Friday, June 06, 2008

Hold All Things Loosely

Hold All Things Loosely

I have been challenged within my own heart to hold loosely the things of this world. I am ashamed and embarrassed to look down and see such tightly clenched fists. And what is it I am holding onto so tightly? If I peer into my hands, just opening them slightly, I see my husband, my children, my house and all my "stuff." Maybe it is the economics of our day. Maybe it is the politics of our time. Mostly it is just Jesus asking for all of me.

As I examine my heart and my fists I am disappointed in myself. As I shared these things with a good friend she put it this way..."We hold onto our little peanuts in our fists. Jesus wants to give us so much more but like little children we hold onto our peanuts and refuse to let them go. We don't trust or believe that if we just let go of our peanuts God has better things for us. He says "I have something good for you." We respond, "No thank you. I want my peanuts." Again, He says "I have greater things for you if you will open your hand and give me your peanuts." And again we say, "No, they are MY PEANUTS!""Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world." 1 John 2:15, 16 NASB"But examine everything carefully, hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil." I Thess. 5:21, 22 NASB

Look at your hands. Do you have a hand full of peanuts? Oh, if we could relinquish our peanuts and trust that God will fill them with more and greater than what we are clinging to. Will you open your hands with me and let God take your peanuts one by one?

KathyWithers is on staff full-time at the Keswick Book and Gift Shop. She is married to her husband, Dave, and has two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church. Her passion is the Word of God and encouraging women to dig deeper into the truths of the Bible.

No comments: