Monday, June 02, 2008

Through the Eyes of Grace or the Eyes of the Law

Through the Eyes of Grace or the Eyes of the Law

A little while ago, after completing an errand, I exited the main building on the Keswick property and my eyes were confronted by a dark image. Walking in, as I was walking out, was a very young couple who were walking so close together, they were moving in complete unison with one another. On top of that they were dressed head to toe in black; they were pierced in too many places for me to count without staring and appearing rude. It was obvious the sun was not their friend as they were both very pale in complexion.

Now hear me on this okay? I saw them! Everything I just described was observed in a matter of seconds and in that moment I had a decision to make. I know me very, very, very well and that means I know before anyone ever needs to tell me that I can be a critical judgmental person. I praise my God and Father for His patient, teaching, counseling, affirming grace. I thank Him for the freedom that I have (we have) in Christ every moment of every day to see others through His eyes.

As I walked past that young couple the Spirit of Christ in me rose up and something happened -or should I say, didn't happen- that was simply sweet. I found myself NOT judging them. They were two people made in the image of God, JUST LIKE ME, whom He loves, JUST LIKE ME, and cares for JUST LIKE ME, and loves, JUST LIKE ME and forgives, JUST LIKE ME and YOU!In that moment I chose to see them through the eyes of grace rather than the eyes of whatever law I think they are breaking.

As I write this Victory Call I am praying for me, for all of us to see everyone we come in contact with through new eyes; eyes that have been set free from the yoke of slavery to old stinky thinking that has nothing to do with grace; nothing to do with love and therefore, nothing to do with Christ in us and through us, the hope of glory."It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." ~~ Galatians 5:1 (NIV)"But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." ~~ 2 Corinthians 3:16-18

Selah

Stephanie (originally appeared September 10, 2007) Paul is a member of the Women's Addiction Recovery Team at America's KESWICK

No comments: