Monday, June 23, 2008

Early, Late or On Time

Early, Late or On-Time ~~ One,For me to write about the topic of time in any capacity is almost funny because, according to the people who are closest to me, I have no concept it. I wish I could say this is a new thing but.... For longer than I care to remember, I've always been running late or just barely on time. In fact, I was even born late at a whopping 9 pounds. Making it anywhere early is just not the norm.My husband says I try to pack more into a space of time than there is time for. My mom has always said, "I dance to the beat of a different drummer"...and keeping time hasn't been a beat I ever learned to play well.Recently I was speaking with someone who shares this 'late trait' and it was really interesting to hear their logic about being early -interesting not because it was odd or strange, but because it actually made sense. In a nutshell, he saw arriving early as wasted time, because the time could be spent doing something, rather than waiting around for whatever.Another friend is also like me and has been for most of her years as well. I would never have guessed her to be so, because she's so meticulously efficeint about everything. And herein is the crux of why I'm writing on this topic. The assumptions and judgements we make about people related to this one aspect of their personality or character. One way or another we all have judgements, and as a late arriver I know that most of those judgements about me or any other late arriver are not positive. What is often felt in the communication is there must be a lack in my character somewhere. Maybe.If I lined up all the people that I know and divided them up according to how they are prone to arrive anywhere they go in life, my guess is the line could be pretty evenly divided. But for the people closest to me the line would be much longer on the side of early and on-time, and most certainly, never, ever, ever late. These are the people you start to call and check on if they don't show up where they're supposed to be, because it simply isn't in their character to be late. People don't call me if I'm late because...well, they just don't.So, here I am today, asking the question, "why are some people always on time or early and others always late...and does it really matter?" I used to jokingly say that I was always late simply because I was born late. The doctors had to induce labor in my mother to get me to come into the world. (I'm sure there is a psycholgy that someone could develop around that.:))Anyway, just because I am who I am, I had to google the question and I discovered some thoughts on this topic which I will share with you tommorow.But for today I leave you with this reminder, keep the main thing, the main thing. Jesus!"Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming." Matthew 25:13Stephanie

No comments: