Monday, October 05, 2009

General Absolution

When we have sinned against another - we are inclined to apologize rather than ask forgiveness (if we say anything at all). If we ask forgiveness we often ask for blanket forgiveness rather than state the specific offense - for one reason - because it's humbling to do so.

We tell the men in the Colony of Mercy (America's KESWICK Men's Residential Program) that asking for general absolution from their loved ones doesn't really aide in the healing of the hurt they caused that loved one. We found the men would say, "I'm turning over a new leaf, will you forgive me for everything I've ever done, and let's move on."

I can't point my finger though because recently I was beginning my morning devotional time with "Lord, forgive me for my sins" rather than confessing my sins naming them specifically to my Lord.

1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Specificity is important not because God doesn't know but because it causes us to consider how we have offended Almighty God. Confessing our sins, naming them, is not for His benefit but for ours. So next time you are tempted to ask for blanket forgiveness, stop and call your sins by name and thank God for the forgiveness He granted through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. All of our sins sent Jesus to the Cross AND EACH of our sins sent Jesus to the Cross.

Diane

No comments: