Thursday, October 22, 2009

What's In It For Me? Part 2

Recently, I heard my nephew speak publicly about his gratitude and love for his mom. It was a touching moment well deserved. My sister has been a single mom for many years. She has worked hard and loved, cared for and provided for her children. This speech was a toast at her recent wedding.

My mind, unfortunately, went from this touching toast to stinking thinking. My sister does not yet walk with Jesus and I am sure her children do not either. I began to lick my wounds. After all, I do follow Christ so why not my children? One I don't think ever accepted Christ as his Savior and the other has walked away from her faith. I began to feel exactly like the people in Malachi 3:14-15. "You have said, 'It is useless to serve God; What profit is it that we have kept His ordinance, And that we have walked as mourners before the Lord of hosts? So now we call the proud blessed for those who do wickedness are raised up; they even tempt God and go free.'"

Have you ever been there? Why do the unsaved seem to have it all and here I am waiting and wanting? I love the Lord, walk with Him and serve Him so don't I deserve to see my children walking with the Lord? It is easy to think that there is no point. Why remain faithful? At times it seems easier to just give up.

The grass may seem greener but I am reminded that without Christ, what is their future? My sister heard those words of love and gratitude that all mothers long to hear. But what will Jesus say to her one day? Her children? My children?

I can only remember that this world is not all there is. So, what's in it for me while I wait to hear good news? In Christ I have a hope and a future. One day there will be no more sorrow or tears. I look forward to an eternity with Jesus. What's in it for me is not just what I get in this world. This is not my home.

For right now I have a trust that a mother's prayers will one day be answered and that God loves my children more than I do. You and I do not have the short end of the stick. God is at work. Malachi 3:16-18 says that in the end He knows those who fear Him and those who don't. He calls those who fear Him "His own" and "jewels." He discerns between the righteous and the wicked. He knows who serves Him and who does not. As ones who fear God and seek to obey Him we will be tempted to give up because we do not see the results we want.

Do not envy those who face a Christ-less eternity and seem to have it all here and now. Next time, as we wrap up our walk through Malachi, we will see that there is a day coming and there is much ahead for those of us who fear the Lord.

Kathy withers

No comments: