Tuesday, October 27, 2009

When God says "NO"

I recently had hernia surgery. I waited so long that it had become very large. I thought it would be a great opportunity for a little nip/tuck in the tummy area. Let's face it, three C-sections and a few other procedures had left, well, let's say a bit more of a pooch than I'd like. As I was considering my hernia surgery I began to research plastic surgeons. Before I made an appointment for a consultation with a surgeon, I thought I'd better consult with "The Great Physician." I prayed, asking God to show me His will where my plans were concerned. As soon as I prayed, I heard God speak to my spirit; "Others may, but you may not, Kim." I began to question what I KNEW I had just heard God say. "Was that really the Lord speaking to me? Maybe I hadn't heard right?" So...with a heart full of doubts and a mind set on a flat tummy, I went to see a plastic surgeon anyway! I really had it all figured out. I could have both procedures done at the same time and might even get a portion of the plastic surgery covered under our insurance. If only God would give me His blessing! Can you believe it? It turned out that none of it was covered under my insurance and it would cost much more that I could afford to pay.


Why God? Why do I have to have a scar on my stomach? Everyone else does this sort of thing. Then I thought about my vanity - Mirror, mirror on the wall...

It says in 1 Peter 3:3, "your beauty should not come from outward adornment such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead it should be that of your inner-self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit is of great worth in God's eyes." I began to realize that in this area of my life -- my appearance -- God wanted to use a scalpel on my heart and not my tummy!! God showed me where I truly had to trust Him enough to obey Him. When God says "No," I need to say, "Yes, Lord."

Kim Peterson
Women of Character Graduate

No comments: