Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Suffer Rather Than Sin

In a culture of instant gratification, we are not apt to willingly accept suffering. In fact, in many ways we would do "just about anything" (legal and moral) to avoid or get out of suffering.

But can suffering be good?

Yes -

Recently, reading through "The Complete Green Letters" by Miles Stanford, I read this statement:"Christ suffered in the flesh - for us, was crucified for our sin. Therefore arm yourselves with the same purpose (suffer rather than to sin)..."

Every time we are faced with temptation we have a choice - choose sin (get what I want - with the appearance that I avoid suffering) OR choose obedience (yield what I want and suffer the loss of my own way).

In a sense, obedience, denying self, refusing the flesh - requires suffering - more or less depending on what I am surrendering.

Are we THAT committed to obedience? Are we willing to suffer the loss of our own desires rather than to sin to get what we want?

Are we willing to suffer rather than sin?

Diane

No comments: