Thursday, October 29, 2009

Shine as Lights

As I was doing my exercises, I began to see sparkling lights on the wall and ceiling. Trying to discern what was causing them, I realized that as I moved my arms and hands my rings were catching the sunlight coming through the window. As I watched the colorful display, I thought about the fact that without the sun hitting them they did not transmit the beauty that I was seeing.

This made my think of my life ~ does it transmit the beauty of the Son within, shining forth to attract others to want to know what the cause is? The reflection of the sun on my rings got my attention ~ I pondered, does His reflection in my day to day activities draw attention to Him?

Jesus said in Matthew 5:14,16, "You are the light of the world...let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." And also Paul reminds us in Philippians 2:14-16, "Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding forth the word of life..." We do not have to do this in our own strength though, "... for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure" (vs. 13). Another place Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12). As He lives within us and His "light of life" is reflected by us in and through our lives, we will bring glory to God the Father and the Son.

Consider the following Scriptures and be challenged and encouraged to keep on "shining" and "reflecting" Him ~ for Him, by Him, through Him:

2 Corinthians 4:5-7 "For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."

2 Corinthians 3:18 "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

Lord, Let it be so ~ Amen.

DeEtta

No comments: