Wednesday, March 16, 2011

BLESS

I don't know about you, but praying for other people doesn't really come naturally to me. I don't know how many times I've told someone I'd pray for them, and then forget. I guess that's my selfish, "old man" nature. Most of the time it's just forgetfulness, but sometimes I'm not really sure what to pray. You know, "bless so-and-so and give them a nice day, and make them feel better, and, um, help them with whatever they need today, and, um....." Ever do that?

I was at a ladies day at a friend's church recently, and before a brief prayer time, one of the women shared 2 acronyms to help us as we pray. The first one, ACTS (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication), I had heard many times. The second one was newer to me, and applies more to our prayers for others, especially when we're not sure specifically how to pray.

B - body - physical needs, material needs
L - labor - their work, whether at home or outside employment
E - emotional - what are the stressors in their life?
S - social - relationships with others
S - spiritual - relationship with God

This is a great tool to cover all possible areas of need in someone's life. A co-worker frequently comes and prays for me, and always asks God to meet my needs, whether they be physical, emotional, spiritual, financial - I think he's on to something! (And thanks, Jacqui, for this great tool!)

So today, as you tackle your prayer list, remember to BLESS others.

Ruth

Ruth Schmidt is on full-time staff at America's Keswick, and grateful to be a daughter of the King.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 1:19,20
19 Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; 20 for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

No comments: