Friday, March 11, 2011

Digging Deeper James 1:16-18 Points to ponder

As we take small portions of Scripture each week to meditate on, may I encourage you to also be reading through the Book of James a few times each week? We don't want to lose sight of the forest for the trees. We need to keep our reading in the context of the book and of the Bible as a whole.

Our Care Groups at the church I go to are following the RMMR (Read, Meditate, Memorize, Repeat) reading method and right now we are focused on reading Genesis through 1 Samuel a few chapters at a time. Each month we also have a small portion of Scripture to focus on more intentionally and a verse or two to memorize. I realized recently that I have no problem with the reading, but I get lazy when it comes to the meditating and memorizing. I want to go deeper, and as our title suggests Dig Deeper. That is not going to happen if I simply read a few chapters a day. I need to be intentional to slow down and pray and meditate through portions. All are necessary for balance. If we meditate without the broader picture we can easily be led astray into error because we lose the context. If we read but don't meditate we skim across the surface and never dig deep. I really want to do both. Will you join me?

James 1:16-18 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

I suspect most of us don't struggle with the idea that every good gift comes down from the Father of lights. But what is a perfect gift? By whose standards is it a perfect gift? Don't we struggle with the "other stuff" that happens, believing and trusting it too comes down from the Father of lights.

As we read through the Scripture, over and over again, there is evidence that God sends tests as well as the "good gifts". But I believe, from God's perspective, it is all good and perfect because He is about His plan and purpose in our lives to conform us to the image of His Son.

Of His own will. Oh, my friend can we rest in that simple truth today? God is accomplishing everything according to His perfect will individually and corporately. God is sovereign and His will is perfect for you and for me.

Blessings, Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: