Thursday, March 03, 2011

Wisdom

I know I'm jumping ahead of myself but I just couldn't resist the prompting to share the practical truths about wisdom in James 3 this week while we meditate on James 1. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

Wisdom is not just KNOWING the right thing to do; wisdom requires DOING the right thing as well. I believe James 3 gives some specific truths that help solidify this idea.

James 3:13-18 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

Let me share a quick story of how I saw this applied. Several years ago, in the process of planning a retreat, the committee of women could not agree on a particular point about the weekend. Honestly, my inclination was to make a decision and have that be that. You know, "So let it be written, so let it be done" sort of thing. But at that time I was memorizing James 3:13-18 and I was challenged to put it to the committee of women for one final discussion. I knew going into the meeting there were strong opinions on both sides. I started our meeting by reading this excerpt from James 3. When I got to the phrase "willing to yield" (But the wisdom that is from above is ...willing to yield...) MY heart changed and I realized I had not been willing to yield. After reading the Scripture passage and some discussion, I called for a blind vote; my vote would be used only if needed as a tie-breaker. I was astounded by the results. Of the 6 or 8 women present, 100% voted in favor of one particular course of action (which was my original preference) and because I was convicted of my unyielding spirit, I actual cast my vote for the alternative. I don't think the action decided on that day was nearly as important as the lesson God had for each one of us about Heavenly wisdom.

I love it when God's fingerprints are all over something. They surely were that day.

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

DIGGING DEEPER
14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

No comments: